Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Chinese Americans Against Trump

I just can't imagine Trump as the President of the United States. Hillary Clinton might not be the best candidate, but Trump is the worst I've seen. He has demonstrated a fundamental lack of understanding of democracy. (Update: Obama did not overstate when he warned that "The fate of the world is teetering.")

I'd also like to point out the fact that many Chinese Americans are against Trump. See for example https://www.facebook.com/ca4ba/ (update: the name of the FP page has been changed after the election day).


/

(updated 11/4)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Xujun, Do you understand why some many of the Chinese here and in China entranced by Mr. Trump?

Xujun said...

Hi Hua, nice to "see" you again, and sorry to reply late -- I was all tied up yesterday and today. I guess you've read Kaiser Kuo's article on SupChina.com? I agree with most of his analysis, though I thought "first-generation" might not necessarily be the best way of categorizing. Age group and immigration time could be important factors. From what I saw around me: Trump supporters are mostly new immigrants (within 10 years) in the 30-40 age group, who have young (or no) children. In contrast, many in the older generation are influenced by their US college-educated children, who are generally liberal leaning.

What's your view?

Unknown said...

I came up with many different explanations. None of them satisfactory. Let me list some.
New immigrant's lack of understanding of American democracy. They are easily entranced by the first thing they hear that sounded right.
The "pragmatic" Chinese are trained, ironically, through long reign of Chinese communism to be extremely selfish. Many, perhaps including myself occasionally, have very little regard for social responsibilities.
A blind worship of success. Especially the gaudy celebrity culture that is personified by Trump.
Do I sound like an urbane elite who have failed to understand other American? Only difference is that I don't understand other Chinese.

Xujun said...

Haha. All true.

a parent said...

Agree with Hua's explanation.

a parent said...

It is refreshing to find a non-trump-supporting voice.